Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Adventures on Public Transit.

Today, I made the weekly 1 hour, 40 minute bus ride to campus for a robotics meeting (yeah, I'm a nerd and proud of it). After an hour or so, nobody had really shown up and we gave up for the day, forcing me to venture out into the heat--hey, 70 degrees is hot by Washington standards!--and endure another 1 hour, 40 minute bus ride home that would bore most city dwellers to tears.

But not I!

You see, up until ten months ago, I had never used the public transit system before. The wonders of a simple ride still fascinate me. The bus and I are kind of like newlyweds; the awesomeness that each of the two of us emanate is still a modern marvel to one another, for the magic that was created when we got together has not yes worn off. At least that's how I feel about the bus. But I'm sure it feels the same about me.

So I choose to view every bus ride as a life-changing adventure! I don't see creepy men, elderly folk, dirty floors and dirtier seats! No! I see the chance for enlightenment!!!

Today, however, was not incredibly enlightening, save for a small child, a boy of no more that four or five years. I'm pretty sure that whole dang bus was into what he was doing. Chatting to anyone he saw, squawking, and reveling about the great powers of trains. He even made a teen aged sk8er boi smile. Kudos! (And yes, that was an Avril Lavigne reference.) Plus, the women who appeared to be the boy's keeper was a redhead, and you know how us red heads stick together.

So thank you. Thank you little boy who made everyone on the 1 smile, even that skater.

And thank you, redhead women, for bearing said child of immense power (at least, I'm going to assume you did).

And sorry to the mailman, who just managed to complete his quest to delivering me my mail, even though I was wailing a Train song at the top of my lungs. I will remember to keep my front door closed from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment